Head of Data Centre of Excellence
- Data Analytics
About the role
Head of Data Centre of Excellence – Glasgow
Competitive Salary + Comprehensive Benefits
MBN has partnered exclusively with the Student Loans Company to appoint a Head of Data to lead their newly created Data Centre of Excellence (Data CoE).
This new, dynamic, multi-disciplinary function made up of data management, reporting and analytics capabilities is centralised to balance control of core data. Its purpose will be to improve the management of Student Loan Company’s critical data governance, leverage efficiencies and consistency of reporting key information and empower department leaders to analyse and deliver insights across their business areas.
The Head of Data Centre of Excellence has accountability for the overall delivery of the Data CoE’s scope of services including data management, data governance, reporting and analytics. You’ll ensure these capabilities support the evolving business requirements and align with SLC’s information and corporate strategy.
- Define and implement a Data Governance framework to ensure the accuracy and quality of the data being collected and stored is fit for purpose.
- Create and implement effective data management policies and procedures that align with SLC’s data privacy and securities policy.
- Analyse SLC’s current Data Quality framework to establish its relevance and advise on how to improve or enhance it.
- Work alongside SLC’s Technology Group to co-lead the design and delivery of current and future data platforms and architecture. Understanding the current data infrastructure and creating a roadmap of how best to move forward.
- Lead the Data CoE’s reporting and visualisation capabilities, ensuring that all business units are receiving 1st class management information reports which are visual and can help drive data led decision making.
- Create and implement an analytics & insight strategy where the business can identify trends in the data and trust that the quality of the data is accurate to drive valuable insight led decisions.
- Be the figure head for the Data CoE, building partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, creating strong relationships with senior leadership from other business units and advocating the use of data & analytics across the business.
- Lead and engage a high performing team, setting clear objectives that are aligned with the business strategy and embodying the behaviours that you want the team to strive for.
You’ll have a background in data management, reporting and analytics with proven leadership qualities and stakeholder management abilities. Experience in a similar role is a must.
Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable experience defining data management policies including ownership of data governance and data quality frameworks.
- Good technical knowledge of data architecture and associated technologies/frameworks:
- Modern data platforms (Enterprise Data Warehouses, Big Data & Cloud platforms)
- Reporting, Business Intelligence and Visualisation platforms (SQL, Tableau, Power BI, Qlik etc)
- Data Quality & Data Governance tools (Colibra, Informatica etc)
- Proven experience driving analytical insight to achieve commercial success. This can be making improvements operationally, providing a better customer service or to produce better revenue.
- Experience leading teams, including setting objectives, driving performance and embedding behaviours.
- Excellent core business skills, influencing, stakeholder management, presentation skills, workshop facilitation.
- Understanding of common commercial, operational and technical challenges for a customer-focussed business?.
- Managing departments or teams, demonstrating strong leadership and communication skills at a C-suite or Board level?.
- Proven agile and innovative mindset, with experience working in fast-paced teams supporting critical business functions.
- Degree in Information Technology, Information Management, a related field or equivalent experience.